Anyway, this is a quick dinner that is always well-received. I'm sure I am not the only one to have a recipe in this vein. In fact, I am sure something similar is floating around pinterest even as I type this, but if there is... I didn't pin it. Or bother reading the recipe. This one is all me and it's pretty freakin' fantastic. According to my husband and kid, anyway (though, to be fair, the kid mostly just eats the barbecue sauce...).
And just to tempt you some more, the critics (my husband) describe it as:
So, without further ado:
Tasty Smothered Chicken
What You'll Need:
2 large chicken breasts (4 small ones)
4 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup barbecue sauce (I use 1/2 cup of 2 separate sauces)
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease Pan (this is a tough recipe, did I mention that?)
2. Place chicken in pan, pretty side up. I used two large chicken breasts, cut in half.
3. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
4. As I mentioned above, I like to mix two barbecue sauces together--a sweet, molasses-based sauce like Sweet Baby Rays, and a more southern, spicy sauce (I love Stubbs, and was just able to get it in the PNW... but only at Costco).
5. Spoon about a third of the barbecue sauce [mixture] over the chicken.
6. Place half of the cheese (I used a spicy buffalo cheddar) over the chicken and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
7. Smother with the remaining barbecue sauce, being sure to cover the cheese, and place in oven on the middle rack. Let cook through (about 30 minutes).
8. Remove chicken and set oven to broil.
9. Place remaining cheese over the chicken and return to oven.
10. Let cheese melt under broiler (< 5 minutes).