Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sloshed in the Garden

Want to hear something pretty amazing? I spent the evening hanging out with my mom, sans a screaming, whining, temper-tantrum throwing terrible two. It was a glorious few hours, one filled with wandering through artfully sculpted gardens, listening to the dulcet tones of bullfrogs, and a Beefeater's Gin and Tonic.

Ahhh.

Oh, yeah, and there were some dance performances.

My mom, who has been reviewing dance for The Backstage Beat in Atlanta, took me to the Atlanta Ballet's Wabi Sabi performance series at the Atlanta Botanical Garden this evening (you can read some of her past reviews here). It just so happens that Thursdays are Cocktails in the Garden nights, so not only did I get to feel cultural, I got to do so while holding an alcoholic beverage in my hand (Wow, that's a lot of links for one paragraph. To celebrate, here's one more).

Anyway, the whole experience was great fun. We left E with my dad, brother, and my brother's friend, then took off for Atlanta (about a 20 minute drive). The Garden opened for the event at 6, the dancing started at 7, and we arrived in Midtown at 5. I talked my mom into running by the Ga Tech Bookstore so I could buy E a few things for the upcoming football season, which was only icing on the cake. It was also sort of depressing that I graduated more than 4 years ago, that I no longer have the privilege of  being on such a wonderful campus every day, and that they have completely changed the parking system in Technology Square. No individual meters anymore?! What the what?! Totally blew me away. I mean, seriously, I move to Washington and they completely turn the place upside down!

Well, I ended up spending way too much on toddler clothing (but oh-so-cute!), all in less than 20 minutes.  Then we were back in the car and at the garden not 15 minutes later. Surprise, surprise.

So, we headed in and explored the garden while we waited for our 7:15 dance performance. It was pretty nice, but then, it was also a bunch of plants. I'm not really sure what it is I was supposed to be enjoying, other than the bullfrog pond in the children's garden, but it seemed like something I totally don't understand... And I felt incredibly uncultured, because I didn't bring along my kid. Guess we'll have to save up for a really nice private school to make up for it. And take some art classes every Tuesday and Thursday at the community center (or something).

The dance was good, and that's coming from a lay-person. Look for my mom's actual write up in a few days (day? I have no idea). I don't want to detract from it here. But the performances were nice. Inspirational even! It's definitely got me thinking about the next book... You know, for when I have finished the two I have already started and one I am going to rewrite. There were definitely a few I liked better than others, but all-in-all, I think they were pretty strong performances. The dancers were wonderful, the choreography was new (to me) and the music was in pretty good taste.

I got a nice drink for a reasonable price ($7 a mixed drink, and they used top-shelf liquor!), and time outside in a nice setting. I would totally do it again. And recommend the Gardens on Thirsty Thursdays for a date night. It would make an awesome date. No joke.

...It's 2:20 and I forgot what my point was. But, whatever it is, there you have it. I'm going to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment