Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Barbecue for a Brood

I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this before, but S has an odd work schedule this summer. His unit's mission this summer is to provide logistical support for the training every ROTC cadet must complete in order to commission as an officer, so he and his soldiers are working 6 days on, 2 days off schedule. There is no break for July 4th, and so, he'll be working.

This makes me sad, but not just for him, but for his soldiers, too. It's so depressing, at least in my mind, to have to work a regular work day on a holiday that everyone else in the nation is getting to celebrate (okay, so obviously not everyone, but you understand what I mean. I feel bad for the police officers, firemen, EMTs, doctors, nurses, and anyone else pulling duty on a major holiday, too). So, I have decided to bring a little taste of July 4th to them!

I know that sounds sort of lame, but if you aren't getting a full day off to enjoy the sun (clouds), warmth (cough*sixtydegreeweather*cough), and fun (err, see above), you might as well get some barbecue. Which is why I have a 13 lb pork shoulder soaking in a brine in my fridge, a huge bag of hickory chips sitting on my counter, enough cheese to fill my entire crisper, and a huge pile of other ingredients hanging out on the dryer--beans, mustard, macaroni, dill relish, potatoes, etc.

Tomorrow, E and I are going to be making enough potato salad, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, and pulled pork to feed at least 30 people. I hope.

I am most worried about two things: will I have enough food for everyone? And how the heck am I going to smoke a whole pork shoulder???

I have directions from my dad, and I am sure I can call him if I end up in a panic, but this will be my first adventure in smoking... and I don't mean a cigarette. I have no intention of ever trying that. Here's the kicker: the smoker we inherited from the last renters (seriously, they left their smoker and their fire pit in the back yard. Score!) turned in a giant crumbling pile of rust, so I will be trying this on our charcoal grill.

Wish me luck.

Oh, and if anyone wants to send me a desser, that would be great! (wink, wink)

No comments:

Post a Comment