Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Flippin' Amazing Spinach, Feta Casserole (Meatless)

I've been in a recipe rut; I've gotten tired of most of the stuff I have made for dinner recently, and everything that sounds good is "summery."

...Yeah... The weather here? 50s.

Ugh, I guess I can just add this to the list of reasons Washington makes me want to gouge my eyes out with rusty spoons (yeah, I totally stole that from you, Amanda).

So, last night I got on pinterest to see if I could find some dinner inspiration. Out of the 248 recipes I have pinned to my Tasty album, only one of them caught my eye:

Spinach and Feta Casserole with Brown Rice and Parmesan from  kalynskitchen.com
However, in my true fashion, I didn't follow the recipe. At all. Sure, some of the ingredients are the same and the end result looks very similar, but the two recipes are very different. I'm assuming. Obviously, I have no idea, since I didn't make the above. The the below is fantastic. I know it's a little obnoxious to toot my own horn, but I am pretty sure this picture of E's bowl will convince you:

Yeah... this ONLY happens when I make her sweet potatoes.

What you'll need:

Casserole dish with glass lid
Cooking spray
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1 large red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz fresh spinach, chopped
8 oz mushrooms
3 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup feta cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sage
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/8 red pepper flakes (I used 1/4, but it was a little spicier than the recipe needs)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, Fahrenheit.
2.  After chopping everything up, mix the spinach, onions, garlic, mushrooms and HOT rice together in a greased casserole dish. You want the rice to still be hot so that it helps the spinach wilt.


2. In a separate bowl, whisk together beat the eggs with a fork until they are smooth and evenly yellow. Add the milk, mixing well. Whisk in the herbs until everything is evenly distributed.


3. Add a cup of crumbled feta cheese, folding it into the mixture so that it is well-covered.


4. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and rice. Mix it well.


5. Cover (I have a glass lid... not sure if that makes a difference?) and pop that sucker in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the edges start to bubble and the spinach has completely wilted. Remove and serve while it's still hot.



This will definitely be served at my house, again. It was delicious. I will probably make it my new night-before-PT-test dinner, since it was light and fresh and good for you (you know, minus the cheese, milk, and eggs). This probably easily serves 4 VERY hungry adults, or 6 regularly hungry adults as a meal, but I would asume it would work wonderfully as a side dish, as well. I can see it with chicken or fish or maybe even pork chops. We ate less than half of it between the three of us... Although, I am about to go grab another bite...

P.S. Next time, I am going to be sure to have fresh herbs. Nothing is better than fresh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment